UNESCO & Dell to train 4,000 school teachers in India with AI-powered digital tech
- Dell Technologies yesterday announced a new partnership at TECH 2019 between its Dell in India operation and UNESCO Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace (MGIEP) to enable school teachers to adopt technology in classrooms.
- In the first phase, teachers in Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka will be trained. The organizations will use technologies like FramerSpace, frontier technologies and ICT to train the techers.
- FramerSpace is a digital platform that will help teachers implement and monitor learning plans for students.
- Teachers who are certified in Dell’s Aarambh programmes are to be given preferences.
- In second phase, face-to-face familiarization training will be provided.
- Later in third phase, teachers will be provided 12 months training.
World’s New Nation: Bougainville gains independence from Papua New Guinea
- Bougainville voted to become independent of Papua New Guinea. Around 98% of 1,81,067 voters voted to get independent from Papua New Guinea.
- Bougainville: It is the largest island of the Solomon Islands Archipelago. The island has the world’s largest copper deposits. The most widely spoken language in the country is Halia. The country is yet to prove its recognition in the United Nations. In India, Godman Nithyananda is said to have built a new country called “Kailassa” near Ecuador. Kailassa is also yet to prove its recognition in United Nations.
- Godman Nithyananda: Recently Godman Nithyananda is said to have created a new country called “Kailassa” near Ecuador in South America. The country is said to have separate flag, national animal, passport entry, visa, separate currency, etc. However, it is essential to obtain international diplomatic recognition to become a new country.
How does a country gets recognition by UN?
- By international law, a country should recognize the other for the later to become an independent country.
- The recognition can be proved by the new country through United Nation Resolution.
- If majority of the countries vote in favour of membership of the country, then the country enters world map and begins to exist legally.
- There are 195 countries in the world today that are recognized by the United Nations.
Apart from Diplomatic recognition, the countries of North America and South America assent on Montevideo Convention (1913).Parliament passes The Arms (Amendment) Bill, 2019.
Abu Dhabi selected as World’s leading Sports Tourism Destination
- Abu Dhabi has been selected as the World’s leading Sports Tourism Destination for seventh time in a row.
- This time the coveted award was conferred at 26th edition of World Travel Awards (WTA), being held in Muscat, Oman.
- In 2019, Abu Dhabi gained many prestigious accolades, including being selected as Best City Break at UK’s Selling Travel Agents’ Choice Awards and West Asia’s Leading Business Tourism Destination at the West Asia edition of WTA.
Parliament passes The Arms (Amendment) Bill, 2019
- Parliament has passed the Arms (Amendment) Bill, 2019, which seeks to amend the Arms Act, 1959.
- Apart from introducing new categories of offences, the Bill also seeks to decrease number of licensed firearms allowed per person and increase penalties for certain offences under the Act.
World’s First Electronic Flight takes off from Canada
- The first fully electronic flight in the world completed its test flight successfully on December 10, 2019.
- The flight is to operate from Vancouver, Canada to the near by islands.
- Union Cabinet approved the proposal of Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH), which authorizes National Highways Authority of India(NHAI) to set up Infrastructure Investment Trust(s) (InvIT) as per InvIT Guidelines issued by Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
- This will enable NHAI to monetize completed National Highways that have a toll collection track record of atleast 1 year and the NHAI reserves the right to levy toll on identified highway.
12 December: International Universal Health Coverage Day
- Every year 12 December is celebrated as International Universal Health Coverage Day across the world, as an annual rallying point for the growing movement for health for all. The day is promoted by World Health Organization (WHO).
- Its objective is to raise awareness of need for strong and resilient health systems and universal health coverage with multi-stakeholder partners.
- on 12 December 2017, UN proclaimed 12 December as International Universal Health Coverage Day (UHC Day) by resolution 72/138.
Cabinet approves Social Security Agreement between India and Brazil
- The Union Cabinet chaired by PM Modi gave its approval for signing Agreement on Social Security between India and Brazil.
- The Social Security Agreement is being signed by India with several other countries in order to protect the interests of the professionals and skilled workers living abroad.
Cabinet approves Partial Credit Guarantee Scheme to help NBFCs, HFCs with liquidity
- The Union Cabinet on December 11 approved the Partial Credit Guarantee Scheme to help non-banking finance companies (NBFCs) and housing finance companies (HFCs) with liquidity and thereby to provide stimulus to the real estate sector and the economy at large by enhancing credit flow.
- The proposed credit support and the resultant pool buyouts will help NBFCs and HFCs resolve their temporary liquidity or cash flow mismatch issues.
- However, the amount of overall guarantee has been limited to first loss of up to 10% of fair value of assets (FAV) being purchased by banks under the scheme or Rs.10,000 crore, whichever is lower, as agreed by department of economic affairs (DEA), Union Ministry of Finance.
Cabinet approves Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2019
- Union Cabinet has approved certain amendments in Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 (code), through Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2019.
- The amendments aim to remove certain difficulties being faced during insolvency resolution process to realise objects of code, protect corporate debtors, prevent ill-thought-out triggering of bankruptcy proceedings and to further ease doing of business (ADB).
- Amendment Bill will be amend sections 5(12), 5(15), 7, 11, 14, 16(1), 21(2), 23(1), 29A, 227, 239, 240 of Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 (Code) and insert new section 32A in it.
- Iron Union 12: A joint military exercise between ground forces of United Arab Emirates (UAE) and the United States.
- International Seminar cum Exhibition on Naval Weapon Systems ‘NAVARMS – 2019’ being held in Delhi on December 12-13.
- GRSE (Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd) hands over LCU (Landing Craft Utility) amphibious ship to Indian Navy.
- Indian embassy, NGO INTACH (Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage) to rebuild 11 heritage sites damaged in Nepal earthquake of 2015.
- Pakistan’s Aleem Dar breaks West Indian Steve Bucknor’s record of umpiring in most number of Tests in his 129th test at Perth
- Spain’s football league LaLiga names cricketer Rohit Sharma as its brand ambassador in India