Government identifies 16 islands in Andamans, 10 in Lakshadweep for Holistic development.
- Centre has identified 16 islands in Andaman and Nicobar Islands and 10 in Lakshadweep for holistic development by promoting tourism and offering facilities for export of seafood and coconut-based products.
- This was disclosed at the sixth meeting of the Island Development Agency (IDA), chaired by Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Monday, a home ministry statement said.
Sportstar Aces Awards:
- Indian Test side: Team of the Year,
- wrestler Bajrang Punia: Sportsman of the Year (Individual Sports),
- Koneru Humpy (chess) & Apurvi Chandela (shooting): Joint winners of Sportswoman of the Year (Individual Sports)
- Jasprit Bumrah won BCCI’s Polly Umrigar Award for the best international cricketer in 2018-19.
- Poonam Yadav was best international women cricketer.
India to host SCO heads of government meeting
For the first time, India will host the annual meeting of council of heads of government of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, the grouping’s Secretary General Vladimir Norov said.
- The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO), or Shanghai Pact, is a Eurasian political, economic, and security alliance, the creation of which was announced on 15 June 2001 in Shanghai, China by the leaders of China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan; the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation Charter, formally establishing the organisation, was signed in June 2002 and entered into force on 19 September 2003.
- The original five nations, with the exclusion of Uzbekistan, were previously members of the Shanghai Five group, founded on 26 April 1996.
- Since then, the organisation has expanded its membership to eight countries when India and Pakistan joined SCO as full members on 9 June 2017 at a summit in Astana, Kazakhstan.
- The Heads of State Council (HSC) is the supreme decision-making body in the SCO, it meets once a year and adopts decisions and guidelines on all important matters of the organisation.
- Senior IPS officer AP Maheshwari appointed as the Director-General of CRPF.
- Economist Amit Bhaduri gives up emeritus professorship at Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Veteran Odia filmmaker Manmohan Mohapatra dies at 69.