107th Indian Science Congress
- The 107th Indian Science Congress (ISC) was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on January 3, 2019 at the University of Agricultural Sciences in Bengaluru.
- PM Modi gave the motto of “Innovate, Patent, Produce and Prosper” to the young scientists in the country, saying that these four steps will lead India towards faster development.
- theme: “Science and Technology: Rural Development”
- Two Nobel Prize winners, Stefan Hell and Ada Yonath are also expected to attend the congress and conduct lectures.
Maharashtra Government launches ‘Cyber Safe Women’ initiative
- The Maharashtra government launched a ‘cyber safe women’ campaign across the state on January 3, 2019, on the birth anniversary of Indian social reformer, Savitribai Phule.
- The cyber safe women initiative aims to spread awareness regarding the atrocities committed against women and children as well as the laws regarding cybercrime.
- The ‘cyber safe women’ campaign will be launched in every district of Maharashtra state so that the public can be informed about cybercrimes as well as the laws related to such crimes.
Ritualistic festival ‘Lai Haraoba’ begins in Tripura
- in Tripura, Lai Haraoba, a ritualistic festival observed by Manipuri meitei communities since ancient times, began in Agartala.
- five day long festival is jointly organised by Department of Information and Cultural Affairs, Government of Tripura, Puthiba Lai Haraoba Committee and Puthiba Welfare & Cultural Society, Agartala.
- Lai Haraoba is celebrated through oral literature, music, dance and rituals. A cultural troupe from Manipur has also come to take part in festival. They will be performing various cultural and traditional musical skits including Manipuri martial arts, folk music and folk dances during the festival.
- Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani unveils 50-foot tall bronze statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel in Ahmedabad; made by sculptor Ram Sutar.
- 2,636 charging stations approved across the country under phase II of FAME India (Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of Electric Vehicles in India) scheme.
- American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (AAPI) organising 14th Global Healthcare Summit in Visakhapatnam (AP) from January 3 to 5.
- Whole of Nagaland declared as a ‘disturbed’ area under the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958, for a further period of six months.